What is happy?
It's a feeling, right?
I can tell you everything that made me feel happy today:
1. Sleeping in and feeling rested when I woke up this morning.
2. Meeting the super sweet and cool pilates coordinator at the gym where I'm doing my apprentice-ship. Meeting cool people is always nice.
3. Making my body strong during a challenging pilates workout.
4. Being able to feed myself a healthy, fresh, balanced meal for both lunch and dinner today.
5. Reading a good book that was written by someone who dared to have an opinion on the way we live our lives as a society.
6. Walking my dog around our funky little neighborhood and letting her stop to kiss the old golden retriever that lives at one of the local bars.
Asta tried to chase my roommate's cat. It was funny except for a few moments where I was panicky because I couldn't undo it, but once I fixed it (by picking her up and circling her around me) it was funny again. Phew!
7. Getting to meet my little brother for a movie.
8. Realizing that he agreed to meet me at the movies while the world series was on TV. So sweet!
9. Seeing the preview for the latest Harry Potter movie and knowing that I can go back and read that book whenever I want.
10. Making plans to have a glass of wine with a friend and window shop with my little sister this weekend.
11. Realizing that I get to get up and do it all over again tomorrow.
12. Putting a workout, the museum, and happy hour with a friend on my calendar... the perfect Friday.
Some things happened to make me not-happy today, but how can I possibly complain?
I used to think of happiness as a destination, but maybe I should start to think of it as just another beautiful-yet-fleeting emotion.
If every day is a beautiful gift from god, then should I learn to love the sad, angry, lonely, scary feelings along with the happy ones?
Yes... I think I'll try doing that for a little while.
If anyone out there is reading, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter... Have a happy Friday!

No comments:
Post a Comment