Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Starting Over, Yet Again

(Yes, that is the name of a self help book from SATC... first thing that came to mind!)

Oh my gosh!  I cannot believe that it is August... and it has been a month since my last post!
To be honest, July was kind of a crazy stressful month for me. 

First- 
I've been really unhappy in the job I got to tie me over until I'm ready to teach Pilates and pursue acting full time.  I should have known.  In fact, I have known since I quit my job at Neiman Marcus in 2005 that retail is not the business for me, yet somehow out of desperation I keep getting sucked back in.  I started looking for another job last week and I think I've got something lined up that will be more my speed.  I hope to know by the end of the week.  Fingers crossed!                

Second- 
I started classes at the acting school that I basically moved to Los Angeles for, and it is AWESOME... everything I had hoped it would be, but it is a huge time commitment, and as I also have to work to support myself financially my schedule is already OUT OF CONTROL BUSY.  I've been feeling really overwhelmed and unsure about how I'm going to become this great artist with an amazing career who doesn't a) starve to death or b) go postal while folding clothes at the mall.  I love that being in acting class in Los Angeles inspires me to work harder and be better, but it's hard to not get sucked into the pressure of feeling like I should already be a working actor after a mere 8 weeks in LA.  

Third- 
My diet, sleep, and exercise habits have really been affected by my schedule and stress, and it's starting to take a toll on my body.  I've been really great about committing to eating vegan, but I've been relying on way too much sugar, starches, and all around pointless foods out of convenience.  Perhaps I have an extremely delicate system, or maybe I just got spoiled to how great I felt when I was eating mostly raw before my move.... either way, suffice it to say that the Standard American Diet makes me SAD.    

So here's how I'm going to make August better:  

1- 
Get a new job!  Hopefully I'll get the one I have a final interview for this week, but if not, I will continue to look.  Life is too short to spend 30 hours per week in misery.  

2- 
Take a break from stressing about my nonexistent acting career and instead focus solely on improving my craft, which is the fun part anyway!  It will be tough, but I'm challenging myself to not even think about managers, agents, headshots, demo reels, submitting myself for auditions, etc., for an entire month (at least.)  I will however, be thinking about rehearsals, independent activities and doors, good films and plays, and producing my own work just for fun.  I already know that I am talented, so I need to learn patience.    

3- 
Focus on my Pilates career.  I've been fortunate enough to find an awesome studio to apprentice at and finish up my student teaching hours, and it's so much fun!  Last week I met a Pilates instructor who is also a working actress, and seeing how she makes her schedule work was such a relief after weeks of questioning whether or not I am actually on the right track.  My Pilates career has to come first so that I can eventually have the freedom to pursue acting.  Also so I don't starve and go postal at the mall...     

4- 
Go back to eating mostly raw fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds.  I'm not saying I'm going to be 100% raw all the time, but I am definitely giving up the grains, sugar, and (most) processed foods. (Not making my own coconut milk or anything like that...)  I ate mostly raw yesterday and I already feel so much better.  It will be tough because I'm always on the go, but I hope that if I feel better I will have more energy to prepare healthy meals in advance.  Raw fruits and veggies are pretty darn easy to prepare anyway, (cut with knife, put in bowl...) so it shouldn't take too much extra time!

5-
Blog more!  No offense, but there are a lot of silly blogs out there.  And while I love vegging out with a stack of magazines just as much as the next girl, (probably more so) I just can't understand the blogs that repost stuff from other blogs that were originally posted in magazine.  Um... way to have an opinion... NOT!  My hope with this space is to provide a little inspiration.  I'm not saying I'm never going to talk about my favorite nail polish or anything like that, but for the most part I want to focus on making a positive impact on peoples lives.  If I can help one reader along their path to living their best life possible, then it's been worth my time and embarrassment. (Opening up is scary!)


So, have I mentioned that I live in LA now and that it kicks Dallas' butt?
Ahhh...
I feel better already!
Bring it on, August!

  


         

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your blog. Keep it up and good luck! A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's nice to know when people are reading!

    ReplyDelete